Pell Road (West Roberts Creek) Hiking & Biking Route
This Pell Road route is found in the West Roberts Creek area, which is a little less traveled than the central Roberts Creek trails. The combination of easy and intermediate difficulty make this a nice ride for someone fairly new to biking, but there is enough difficulty to entertain all but the most advanced biker. Nice for hiking as well. Hiking time is about 1.5 hours and biking time will likely be around an hour.
- Access to the Pell Road route is very simple. Located in West Roberts Creek, follow Hwy. 101 to Pell Road (first road on your left after Roberts Creek Provincial Park if you are coming from Sechelt or second road on your right after the lights at Roberts Creek Road).
- Head up the road and stay to the left as it makes a sharp left turn. You will basically be paralleling the powerlines and where the road makes a sharp right park your car. You'll see that there is room for your car.
The image below is actually interactive. It is a Google Earth gadget that embeds the image of the trail route that you can zoom in and out of with the zoom bar on the right. You can also use the slider bar to back up through my route. It's pretty cool.
The map above is the same as the first, but created with Mapsource. The route is marked in yellow.
- The entrance to the powerline road is over by the gate area heading west (not the road/trail that heads straight towards the ocean - this ends up going nowhere).
- Follow the powerline road along until you come to a dirt road. Turn right and go about 50 feet and you'll see a wide road which quickly changes to a trail. If you go a bit too far and take the wrong road you will come to the creek with no bridge.
- Follow the trail and cross the bridge. When you see the trail on the right turn and follow it.
- When you come to a T turn left (right goes down to the creek where there is no bridge).
- Follow this trail until you come to a trail off to the right. Turn right here.
- This trail will skirt around the edges of a clear cut, over a couple of bridges and then down into an area where it looks like some kids have been building forts!
- You will pop out onto an old road where you will turn right. If you were to go left you would end up at the East Wilson Forest Service Road.
- As you follow this road you will need to either ride through or hike around a few big puddles. It is very wet here, but quickly dries out. (In summer this may not be an issue.)
- Keep following this road until it comes out to a bigger and better gravel road. This is Pell Road.
- If you follow the route as displayed on the maps then you will need to go pretty much straight ahead and you will end up at your car. If you go right instead, you will end up back down at the powerlines where you could go left back to your car.
Click here to return from Pell Rd. to the Bikes & Hikes page.
Click here to return from the Pell Road route to the Sunshine Coast Trails Home page.