Triangle Lake Hiking Trail Route
The Triangle Lake trail is a popular Halfmoon Bay hike. It is one of the very few "hiking only" trails on the Sunshine Coast. So no bikes, no vehicles of any kind and no horses. It has an elevation gain of about 180 metres (590 feet). Hiking time to just do Triangle Lake is about 1 to 1.5 hours. If you add in the circle trail it will take another 45 minutes or so for a total of 1.75 to 2.25 hours.
The image below is actually interactive. It is a Google Earth gadget that embeds the image of the trail route that you can zoom in and out of with the zoom bar on the right. You can also use the slider bar to back up through my route. It's pretty cool. Oh, you can close the bubble to get it out of your way.
Same route using Mapsource
I describe this hike as having five steps.
- The first step out of the parking area takes you around Colvin Creek to the right. If you went straight you could cut over to Triangle Lake trail at the first right, but it's not nearly as pretty.
- When you get to the first junction you will see a sign post that directs you toward Triangle Lake. Keep to the right here (toward Triangle) and follow this next second step along up hill and then down to a view point sign.
- If you want head up to the view point that allows you to look down over the valley. It's only about .1 km.
- Once back on the trail, continue along past a trail that goes off to the left. This trail connects to Little Knives. You are going to carry on straight ahead and up the hill.
- This third step is short, but steep. Once up you will come to another fork in the path. You stay to the right. The trail to the left is the second that connects over to Little Knives.
- The fourth step is another climb up and over some beautiful mossy rocks, and then down the other side. Again there will be a trail that goes off to the left over to Little Knives and once again you keep on to the right and up the final (fifth) step of the trail up to Triangle Lake.
- Just before the viewpoint down to the lake there is a sign post and there is a trail on the right and the left. These trails are called the Triangle Lake Circle Trail. This will take you out and around the lake and back again.
Check out the view of the lake before taking the circle trail (if you decide to do that). If you've had enough of a hike you can just head back down the trail to where you started.
Click here to return from Triangle Lake route to the Bikes & Hikes page.
Click here to return from Triangle Lake route to the Sunshine Coast Trails Home page.
Enjoy this page? Would you like to link to it? Here's how:
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.